Let me start this story with a little background info. Lillie had bronchitis (how is that word spelled?!) the next to the last week in Feb. One week after finishing her antibiotics she started wheezing really badly again. This was Saturday night, March 1. She woke up in the middle of the night really working hard to breathe. She was breathing super fast & all I could think to do was give her a breathing treatment & some triaminic to help with her nose. She finally went back to sleep in our bed, but was awake again in a couple of hours. Robin (my sister the nurse) had previously taught me how to count kids' breathing so I did that. Lillie was breathing in the 70s when she should normally be in the 40s-50s. I called Robin & she told me to call the on call doc which I did. All he said was to take her to the Convienient Care Clinic which didn't open until noon. So that's what we planned on doing. Paul went to church & I obviously stayed home with the girls. Robin came by on her way home from work around 10 to check on Lillie. She informed me that I should take her to the ER. We did. When they checked her she was breathing at 77 I think, but playing & acting fine. She was retracting pretty hard though.
They took her back to a room & gave her a breathing treatment, did a test for RSV & the flu, & did X-Rays. Everything came back fine. The X-Ray showed that she didn't quite have pneumonia but it was borderline. So they decided to call it bronchitis. We did end up staying the night at the hospital though. They gave her 2 breathing treatments in 1 & 1/2 hours which finally stopped the retracting.
The On-call doc told us we could go home or stay, it was up to us, BUT "it always gets worse at night." (I was a little scared or nervous Saturday night when she was breathing so fast & hard.)So I asked him what he would do if it was his kid. His response? "If it were my wife & kid I'd send them to the hospital & stay home & sleep." Nice. Since we had no way of knowing how well she'd respond to the breathing treatments (how long the response would last I should say) we decided to stay. I would have hated to go back to the ER in the middle of the night.
She responded great! You wouldn't have known that she was retracting or breathing so fast by looking at her. She was the healthiest baby on the Pediatrics Wing! She played & had a good old time in the hospital room. I'm glad that we stayed though. Sure enough had we gone home she would have been bad that night.
We were able to leave Monday morning with $100 worth of perscriptions to be picked up.
Here are a few pics from the ordeal:
This is in the ER room.
This is her playing in her crib in her room.
Lillie just relaxing!


4 comments:
SAD!!! What an ordeal! She looks so little in that huge hospital bed. Poor thing. I'm glad she responded so well and is doing better.
The same thing happened to Zachary in kindergarten. Scary. Glad she recovered so quickly! :)
Oh my goodness girl! Cadyn had pnemonia and was severly dehydrated when he was 13 months old had to be in the hospital too! It was so scary! The pictures of Lillie made me think of Cadyn's ordeal. They do look so little in the hospital beds and cribs! I am glad she is doing better!
Poor baby, Chance has had that too. It's the pits. She looks so sad. Glad she is better.
Post a Comment